June 27, 2006

My Dancing Queen.

I love Madonna. And when I saw her last night on tour wearing a shiny robe with the words 'Dancing Queen' sequined on the back and with a lining of twinkling lights, singing 'Lucky Star' like it was 1983, I realized there is only one person in the universe truly worthy of that title and boy is it her!
What a night! Sheer brilliance I tell you.
Song after song, or rather I should say performance after performance...each piece was a work of art. That's what I love about her so much, she actually has a message, a strong %$!@# message! Oddly enough, my favorite moments of the concert (concert is a lowly word to use in this case) and the parts I actually remember vividly (don't you hate when the whole show is a blur a second after it's over!) weren't even when Madonna was singing...they were:
-A captivating and emotional several minute-long video montage of world horrors, from AIDS to images of war, terrorism and a mockery of Bush, all set to a fabulously jarring tune with interludes by Madonna. The last screen read 'the audience is listening'. Very amazing. You had to be there.
-Her album (Confessions on A Dance Floor) literally brought to life through three gripping solo performances by her dance troupe members. They were talking, confessing, dancing passionately...it was so raw and so real. Ironically, I'm convinced her dancers are either genetically modified or robots. They are unbelievable.

Of course, the night was filled with many political, religious, sexual and philanthrophic messages. Madonna showed everyone the finger, appeared as Jesus crucified on a cross, stuck her hands down the front of her pants and then shook hands with audience members...I could go on.
She doesn't shock me though. I love that she can do these things at 47. I love that she can prance around like a 16 year old and dance her perky yogified butt off. I love that she didn't stop giving her 200% on the concert stage that was her dance floor, despite the "bitches in the front row" who refused to get up and groove. Most of all I loved when she sang 'La Isla Bonita' which is my best Madonna song ever and which I have been singing since I was six years old. Everyone has one.
The 250 mile journey on a Monday night to go see my Dancing Queen was worth every second. (Don't even ask...ever heard of a yatra?)
She opens tomorrow night at Madison Square Garden. You HAVE GOT to GO people.

No comments: