June 22, 2006

Summer Solstice Scene.

If you read my first blog post ever you would know I'm somewhat passionate (not the right word really) about the HPV-Cervical cancer issue. Time magazine (no I don't work for them) just featured a piece on the cultural debate that has spurred since the FDA approved the new HPV vaccine, Gardasil (don't even get me started on the name). Here is the article for those of you who care: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1206813,00.html
Just so you know, I do have a strong opinion on this particular topic but I'll save it for another day.

On a (much) lighter note...
Yesterday was the official start of summer. Dreams of sunny beaches, backyard barbeques and lazy walks along the pier.
For the average Manhattanite however, summer means it's not too cold to stand in lines and take the partying up a notch.
Let me explain.
A bunch of us went out last night, not to celebrate the summer solstice (as good an occasion as that is) but to show an 'out-of-town' friend a good time in the city and bring in his birthday. We started the evening at a new hot spot '230 Fifth,' a fabulous rooftop venue atop an unassuming office building on 27th and 5th. Unassuming until of course you put a red velvet rope outside the place and a bouncer or three. Throw in two lines (one for regular folks like myself and the other for the Manhattan somebodys) a few clamouring model-types and several hundred investment bankers and you've basically got yourself a good old 'New York City Scene'.
The inherent problem with scenes is unless you are on a list or getting bottle service you are pretty much like chewing gum on the bottom of a last season Prada suede boot. You're annoying and uncalled for.
It was a Wednesday night people...the line and attitude was a rude surprise. Excuse me for not knowing that summer solstice and private parties go hand in hand. Who are these people throwing these parties and why don't I know any of them anyway?
Many minutes and several protesting whines later we made it up there. 230 Fifth is a gorgeous place. The views are stunning and the crowd even more so. Not that you can see much of either given that you're pretty much stuffed into a corner. Being barely over 5 feet tall doesn't exactly 'heighten' the experience. Sorry that was plain corny.
So I thought to myself..ok this place is pretty new which explains how crazily packed it is and how hard it was to get in but moving on to another rooftop venue in the city -- 'BED' the situation was worse. Standing in yet another line close to midnight and no we weren't on the list, it was only a well-thought out speech to the bouncer about how my friend wouldn't like to bring in his birthday standing in line (why do New Yorkers say 'on' line? Isn't that the internet?) that did it. Once again it was men in suits and pretty JAPpy (thats Jewish American Princess) girls all around partying like it was 1999. Boy do these folks know how to herald in the summer!
Sure it's fun to be in on the action and take in the glory that is Manhattan night life, but the 'scene' is tiring in more than ways than one. I'd take a walk on the beach over that anyday.
Which is precisely where I'm headed ...so see you next week!

1 comment:

Nams Mehra said...

Thanks Scottie! We'll miss u guys tons :(
Yeah I didn't mean encapsulate did i? I can't find another word. Help me!(I replaced it with passionate but it's not appropriate for the topic either.)
Thanks for the feedback!