October 02, 2007

Smelly Smelly. Poo Poo.

As I walked through the household de-odorizing (products that remove odors from places other than your underarms) aisle in Target last night I had the sudden looming thought that I was doing something drastically wrong with my domestic scent-being. Not well-being, scent-being. What is going on in this country?
First the obsession with teeth-whitening products and now this?

The hundreds of brands and product innovations (I’m talking fans, plug-in things, CD player thingies and more) dedicated to getting rid of the odor in your house makes me wonder if everyone but me lives in a pig-sty. I mean I understand the average home may have a stinky diaper, rotting banana peel and heck even a 3-week old slice of pizza lying around somewhere but does this really call for the odor-banishing army? From odor-busting garbage bags to thousands of candles in various scents of nauseating, to spray this, bust that, oust this, joust that….do you have a 100 dying rats in there? What is going on?

Ladies, if your garbage bag stinks… just take it out or rather…have your husband/boyfriend take it out. Why would you spray it with some ozone-killing product to ‘try and eliminate odors from the source’ as one Lysol commercial puts it. The source of that stink is saying throw me out…plain and simple really. The banana peel isn’t looking for a new cologne.

I really wanted to stand around that odor-eliminating product aisle for a few days to find out who exactly is buying these products, how many of them and why?
I would award these shoppers a free trip to India or Bangkok or somewhere lovely like that so they really understand and appreciate the full varietals of odors and smells that exist out in the real world. Maybe a $2 subway ride would do the trick too.

I’m not saying your house should smell like a homeless man in the subway or the gorgeous canals of Calcutta (are there even canals in Calcutta?) but I don’t think your home should smell like ‘apple spice and delights’ or ‘blossoms and breeze’ all year long either. I mean how would you then really enjoy the smell of blossoms on the spring or apples at the Farmers market…nothing would smell special or unique at all...everything would smell like...like your couch.

I just think we need to stop artificially changing things and covering things up. So many products claim to eliminate odors rather than just cover them up…how on earth does that happen exactly? Nuclear power? If something can zap that diaper smell right off this planet then trust me you don’t want it in your house! And I'm not talking about the diaper!

Its time to get off our lazy asses and take the garbage out. Once you've done that take a nice deep breath of 'this is what my house smells like as nature intended it'.

Save de-odorizing for your armpits. Oh and save the planet.

No comments: