November 15, 2006

PATH peace unto all.

I might as well devote yet another post to America's Next Model. "Naaaaaat".
Man I loved Borat. Funny as hell. Still haven't gotten over that one scene though. You know the one. Hairy and round. There I said it.
Can't help but think of it every time I see Borat's face plastered in the media. The man is raking in millions offending innocent people and nations and I am considering therapy to get that one scene out of my head...this is the irony of life.

Naaat.

Something annoying happened to me today. Of course you want to hear about it.

I was on the PATH train going home and these two desis (Indians from India) were talking so damn loudly I wanted to slap someone. Oh why oh why hadn't I charged my iPod today. Serious regrets there. Here's the thing. First of all the PATH train is like the DTC (Delhi Transport Corporation) bus so all desis note: Hindi is not the secret language it used to be. About half the people on the train know what you're saying. Ok one-third. I forgot about the South Indians.

And I used to think that Indians talk so loudly, but then I realized Russians talk loudly too, no wait the Chinese are even louder but then my sister visiting from India pointed out that Americans talk really loudly...so I am no longer attributing that trait to race. "Some" people talk loudly. And these two desis were them. Loudly in crass Hindi. Not the nice genteel kind of Hindi but the real Delhi rickshaw kind.

One girl and one guy yacking away about the most insipid things. His new couch, the fact that she was starving and would he please give her a ride home and so on. She obviously had a huge crush on this guy ("champak" we would call him back home) and she hysterically giggled after each word he uttered..er yelled. Listen desi lady: everyone's going home, it's been a long day, we all just want a quiet moment to be able to stare at nothing in particular in peace. Turn down the volume will you!
Aaaargh. I have to admit I even glared at them a few times. I willed deeply for her to stop. Nothing. She just stared back at me one time and kept yacking. I wanted to yell "shut it" in Hindi so bad I had to bite my tongue to stop myself. One of these days...just watch me.

I have PATH train rage. Please be considerate of fellow passengers and buy yourself an iPod now.

1 comment:

holden said...

Ah, the PATH. I don't miss it. Reading your post, I was thinking that here in Portland, there's just much less anger because people are more considerate. Strange. I've been reading your blog and love it... keep going...