November 17, 2006

Masala Popcorn 6...oh dammit I can't keep count anymore!

I thought I was sheer genius when I discovered the art of ice cubing.
Let's face it. I am.

Like many other cooks who wish they would cook more often than they actually do, I struggle with spoiled produce and having to chuck things away. One of the worst things is canned tomatos and tomato puree. I mean those things just don't come in single-serve sizes do they? Quite the opposite. In a major conspiracy against non-Italian mama's, tomato canning companies have decided to let us have it.
Anyway.
I found myself doing a significant amount of smushed tomato chucking (while green and red are a fantastic color contrast, it just doesn't work when the green is mold) until my friends...I discovered the art of Ice cubing!
Yes pour that remaining sauce into an ice tray and you have tomato cubes conveniently waiting to be tossed into any recipe! They thaw in the microwave in mere seconds or you can toss them directly into the pan. Bellisimo!

It gets better. Hate throwing out good wine that someone criminally forgot to finish? We all know you can't leave a bottle of wine open for more than 2-3 days at the most. Leftover wine is perfect for cooking for up to a month after being opened. But wait! Pour into ice trays and freeze and those vino cubes can be used for up to 6 months! Fantastico!

No comments: