October 12, 2006

Masala Popcorn 5...a continuing series of spicy goodness.

Speaking of popcorn, I'm crunching on some extremely yummy organic popcorn from Pret (Pret a Manger) and to warn you in advance this post is a big (and very unpaid) promotion for Pret.

Pret a Manger is a British chain with a French name (go figure) which we are so lucky to have here in New York. What's the big deal you say? The big deal is that I'm sick of looking for food without ingredients that I can't prounounce, are more than 6 syllables long and would win high points in Scrabble. I can't find bread without High Fructose corn syrup. Eggs and chicken look like they're from a time when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
I'm not Fred Flintstone. I don't need a chicken leg bigger than my head. This is why Fred was a fat guy despite 'running' his car and bowling nights.

Pret, good ol' Pret actually gets that. I can go in there and know that everything is fresh, organic and yummy. Made with real-deal ingredients that mamma would use. Trust me. I have spent a lot of time on their website, reading the small print.

I'm not saying low-fat, I'm not saying carb-free, I'm talking about the good old days of regular size (meaning a quarter of the size you normally get) portions of wholesome food. No additives, artifical flavors or preservatives. Phew.

They source all their ingredients locally, supporting local businesses. They make everything fresh each morning and donate the day's leftovers to a charity that feeds New York's homeless. How great is that?

The ability to buy a half sandwich which looks like something I would make at home (meaning I don't need to dislodge my jaw to bite into it) coupled with a small cup of soul-warming not-out-of-a-can soup makes me a super happy person. And even though it's a 'soda' (albeit a healthier one) ...do try my favorite drink ever 'Yoga Bunny Detox'. I have a thing for good naming systems...

No comments: