September 12, 2006

The Chimp & The Banana.

I tried to stay awake during Bush's speech last night. I really did.
I'm sorry but I only see a monkey face. I just can't take him seriously anymore (like since the last 5 years). So instead, I tried to focus on the photo frame behind him - a cutesy picture of his twin daughters Barbara and Jenna. But then I started thinking about them and their alcohol possession charges. Oh whatever! Who am I to judge? They're kids and kids party. Besides, if Bush was my dad, I would be drinking a lot.
See? Clearly distracted and not listening to the chimp. Oh did I say monkey before?

Speaking of chimps and monkeys (see how I love to connect topics?) what was the deal with Sharapova and the banana? Here is what she had to say:
"I believe, at the end of the day, personally, my life is not about a banana," Sharapova said Saturday night. "It's not about what I wear. It's not about the friends that I have. My career right now is about winning a tennis match. And right now, I'm sitting here as a U.S. Open champion, and the last thing I think people need to worry about is a banana."

We aren't worrying Sharry. We just don't want you doing any banana commercials or anything...you know like becoming the next Miss Chiquita banana. Based on your track record, we don't think you would be able to balance a fruit basket on your head (falling trophy tops come to mind.)

Oh Nike how we love thee. You made us all feel so pretty during the Open. And lucky for you, your pretty girl made it all the way to the finish line in first place in her pretty black dress (I was hoping for all-over sequins for the final...can't believe she repeated her outfit...oh sorry it's not about what she wears.)

Have you noticed more and more desi's (Indian/Paki..generally South Asian) showing up in ads? There were two in the So Pretty Nike ad! Out of the twenty people singing to Sharapova, two were Indian! That's a full 10%. And just to keep it balanced, one was a maid with a thick accent and one a hot tennis player. Nice.

No comments: