July 10, 2006

Whale of A Time.

I've been told my postings are too long. What do you think? No one has time to read my essays eh? Oh well, the adaptive human being that I am, I will work towards heeding to your reduced attention spans. This digital age I tell you. I think our great grand-children will eventually have communication down to monosyllables and emoticons only.
Ok so here's my post for today-nice and short mind you.
Have you ever been whale-watching? Most fascinating excursion. I was so sceptical about seeing a real whale in the ocean...I mean Boston harbor hardly makes for a Discovery channel moment. But an hour or two of steady zipping into the Atlantic ocean and I saw 7 of the most beautiful mammals in the world (after Brad Pitt and George Clooney that is.) The hugeness of these creatures is phenomenally humbling. We're talking up to 50 feet long! And being huge and so utterly graceful is just mindblowing (Take note Rosie O'Donnell.) We saw humpbacks and fin whales and minkes. Their glistening bodies gliding effortlessly in the green ocean, it was nature at it's best. Visit http://whalecenter.org/sightings/recent.htm to see what we saw and potentially even adopt a whale. I'm seriously considering whale adoption. 2 of the whales we saw are part of only 350 left in the world! And we saw one of the reasons why...boats getting too close to the whales. Selfish people wanting a good close-up view of these delicate beauties. Another major threat to whales is entanglement in fishing gear. Looking at them, at 30-40 tons a piece, you can hardly imagine anything getting in their way, let alone some fishing lines...

1 comment:

Oswyn said...

Hey! I disagree that your posts are too long. But you could make them a little more visually appealing. For instance a picture or two goes a long way. Also you could break up those long paragraphs of text into smaller ones.

Other than that, I like to read what you write. Keep going!