July 06, 2006

Virgo Billionaires.

My husband and I are big fans of Marjorie Orr. She used to write daily horoscopes for a Bombay/Pune local paper, Mid-Day, and probably still does. Luckily we have the web so even though I am a million miles away from the cutie little boy who used to sell me my Mid-Day at the traffic light intersection, nose pressed up against the car window and all, I have Marjorie's website (can someone please hire her a web design agency?) to tell me what will go wrong next. She has been known to be eerily accurate on occasion.
Did you know that 33% of Americans read their horoscope on a regular basis!?
I'll admit that I'm not too disciplined when it comes to seeking out my horoscope for the day and Marjorie's ugly website does indeed deter me (sorry I am sooo hung up on that stuff.) I do read it in the free subway newspaper though, because it happens to be there in front of me, but ask me my horoscope 10 minutes later and I would draw a blank. It's certainly not in the 'information I retain' category. I have a lot of those categories by the way.

But something caught my eye recently. Forbes did a study that reveals most billionaires are Virgos. Niiiice. Virgo that I am, I read on to discover that a couple of years ago it was Pisces that was the billionaire sign but since Pisces and Virgo are on the same 180 degree axis (whatever that means) which switched at some point, it's now our turn. Does this mean in a few years it will turn again and therefore I only have a few years to make my billion? Sheesh. Way to up the pressure.

Here are some interesting nuggets from the Forbes report:
"So far, we have confirmed the birth dates for 613 of our 793 billionaires. Of those, more than 70, or roughly 12%, were born between Aug. 23 and Sept. 22, making this earth sign the most common among billionaires. It’s a bit ironic that top astrology honors for this male-dominated billionaires list goes to the sign symbolized by a virgin, but it actually isn’t too surprising. Virgos are known to be hardworking, determined, detail-oriented and analytical. They are driven more by their desire to achieve excellence at whatever they do than by the pursuit of riches, according to astrologer Michael Lutin. These utilitarian types are happiest when they can produce things or services that are useful to others. Two of the richest and best-known American billionaires are both Virgos: Berkshire Hathaway's Warren Buffett, the second-richest person in the world, and Oracle's Larry Ellison. But don’t fret if you or your children are not Virgos. Forbes found examples of billionaires born under all 12 zodiac signs. Aggressive Aries, who account for 8% of our list, include Microsoft's Steve Ballmer and Ikea’s Ingvar Kamprad; idealistic Aquarians like Oprah Winfrey also make up 8%. Scorpio has bragging rights as the sign of the world’s richest man, Microsoft’s Bill Gates. "Scorpios always do well because they use all of their seductive powers to sell. The goal of Scorpio is to make you do what they want you to do, whether you want to do it or not. People hate Windows, but they buy it." So true my friends. So true.

I got a giggle out of this last bit of the report. But frankly it's a little mean...sorry my little Sagittarians...
"The least common sign among billionaires? Sagittarius, which represents just 6% of the world’s wealthiest. Folks born under this sign are sometimes described as unorganized or even sloppy, and more focused on the big picture than on little details. “Counting on their luck and the grace of God, adventurous Sagittarians can act like tourists in the marketplace," explains astrologer David R. Railey. But what they may lack in business acumen, they make up for in creativity. Thus it's no surprise that Sagittarian billionaires include Hollywood director Steven Spielberg and producer Arnon Milchan."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting! I used to be a big fan of Marjorie Orr too, but now have my shortcut favorite directing to http://astrospeak.indiatimes.com . It's uncanny how accurate the 'predictions' are. When I read it, I feel it should start with "Dear my name -".. Check it out!

Anonymous said...

Link to the study please. Would love to see what the cancerians of the world have achieved or think they have :)