June 15, 2006

Shopaholics Unite.

I was wrong. I am not a shopaholic. Going by the event I witnessed from 6p.m to 10p.m yesterday, I am faaaar from a shopaholic. My love for shopping is purely emotional and very mildly physical (physical meaning the action of extending your hand into your wallet). Husband please take note.
Picture this scene-more than 40 fabulous designers selling clothes, shoes, bags and jewellery, hundreds of gorgeous New York women (this is THE place to find them all in under one roof), a few random guys (bullied boyfriends, desperados, wannabies and token pretty gay boyfriends) an open bar, a massuese, makeup artists, hairstylists and manicurists - sheer fabulousness all around!
The Gen Art Shop NYC event was truly a force to be reckoned with. The atmosphere was electric, buzzing with the enthusiasm and anticipation of scoring a designer bargain, finding that perfect dress or buying yet another pair of croc wedge heels.
From the moment I entered the Puck building, I was in my happy place, filled with a wild energy and a warm, fuzzy feeling all that the same time. Sigh. Such is the life of the emotional shopaholic. The crowds were maddening - women buying designer items like candy, dresses and tops flying everywhere in the chaotic discount store-like changing rooms. The check out lines were tiresome and no I did not make it to the masseuse chair, the makeup artist or the manicurist (which I never really expected to anyway.) But I did get a free drink (or two), some shampoo samples (who doesn't love those things?) and a few precious designer "souvenirs" to take home. I have very few complaints and absolutely no regrets. A tug-of-war match over a silk kimono top would have been nice entertainment but there was none of that drama. None that I witnessed, anyway.
Ultimately I was in a place where I belonged...where any and all guilt associated with shopping was alleviated and everything was considered a great find and an even better deal (isn't a $350 python clutch purse suchhhh a fab deal?) A mecca for fashionistas everywhere.
Do you remember the time when Lucky magazine would feature stuff from the Gap and Old Navy and you could actually afford to go out and buy featured items and then they went completely high-end on us and you could barely find one thing below $100. I would always wonder who is reading this magazine and actually buying this stuff? Well I found them all under one roof last night.
It's NYC with the shopaholicism!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written Nams .. I can totally identify! : )