June 16, 2006

Respect to the D-List

For my two loyal readers-I'm posting this just after midnight because it's technically tomorrow and since tomorrow is going to be a really crazy day for me and I didn't want to let you two down...

I watch a lot of crappy TV sometimes. I know we all agree this is extremely therapeutic after a hard day's work and therefore completely justified. There's only so much intellectual stimulation one can handle in a 24-hour period.
So I just finished watching Kathy Griffin's 'My Life on the D-List' on Bravo and I have to say this is the second or third time I've watched this show and frankly its freakin' hilarious! Kathy is out of control-she makes you cringe with embarassment at the things she does and she's so ridiculously honest and funny it's truly addictive.
She actually auctioned herself on eBay a few shows ago and it turned out that her winning bid at $28K fell through and they had to go down this long list of runner-up bids until the 40th bidder accepted and won. Yikes! The winner was this random dude from Cleveland who spent $5K to spend the weekend with Kathy...anyway the whole thing was a riot but she has this amazing ability to turn any situation, even a super-awkward one into a LOL moment.
One always assumes celebrities have it good and it's so easy to imagine that they all live the same fab celeb lives no matter who they are. As long as we see them pose on TV and in the tabloids they have it good right? But watching this show, you get a real sense that all is not fair in love and Hollywood and that life on the D-list can really suck. Of course, Kathy is one sassy D-lister who can laugh it off and no doubt is the brains behind monetizing her struggling celeb life with this show. But it makes you think of all the other D-listers ...imagine always having to live in the shadows of shallow celebrities like Paris and Nicole when you have so much more to offer (assuming you do of course). On the last show I watched, Kathy was invited to some event and exactly 11 people turned up - out of which 7 of them were the organizers! Not fun.
It really takes so much more than we give credit for to put yourself out there in a position where you are so vulnerable to rejection. I've always admired people who can laugh at themselves and Kathy does it brilliantly.
Normally I don't care about this stuff and I know she will never be on the A-list -she's far too real and approachable for that and I don't think she's even trying to be there, but I really do hope this show gives Kathy Griffin the respect and recognition she deserves as a talented comedian and women. Even more so, I hope, as in my case, it gets people thinking about what goes on behind the scenes and what it takes to get there. It certainly takes the respect up a notch.

No comments: