June 06, 2007

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

This has been a big performance week for me.

Saw Mary Poppins on Broadway this weekend and Sleeping Beauty by the American Ballet Theatre (that would be ABT to you uncouths) at the Met Opera House last night.

All I can say is goddammit I should go to these things more often! I live in New York city...where else in the world can you see Bert & Mary walk on the ceiling while Princess Aurora dances in an enchanted forest with 20 tutu-clad ballerina beauties...all in the same zip code?

I can't get "just a spoonful of sugar" out of my head. Mary Poppins is highly recommended. After all, who doesn't know the songs..and trust me if you think you don't, they will all come back to you from deep within. I assure you. You must check out the official website for some great sneak peek videos to get a sense of what the show is like. No actually don't. Just go! Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious will have you bouncing out of your seat! Even more amazing was the chimney sweeps performance to "Step in Time"....just phenomenal!

You know when you go to Disney World and you see dressed up characters...I remember seeing Cinderella and thinking she was the real thing (listen I was young OK). This girl was born to be Cinderella...this wasn't just a costume on her but she embodied the character in every way-- her blue eyes and blonde hair, her dazzling smile, her grace and charm. Well just as Julie Andrews was born to be the original Mary Poppins back in the 60's, Ashley Brown & Gavin Lee are born to be Mary & Bert. After all, the original movie cast Andrews and Dick Van Dyke are not an easy act to follow.

How nice to be able to buy a ticket (nobody said it was going to be a cheap ticket)to your childhood. Even if for just a few hours. Sigh.

No comments: