September 05, 2006

Jalebi's, Ball Girl Beauty Queen & "Agassi Agony"

It was so funny to see so many desi's at the U.S. Open! I guess we have an affinity for Tennis...more so than baseball or American football anyway. Besides, our sporting choices are limited here. Although can I just tell you that the other day I came across a cricket club in a rich suburb of Philly (The Philadelphia Cricket Club)! I was so surprised...and yes they actually play cricket there.
Anyway, I digress.

Oh the Open! It was such a great experience! I can't believe I've been in New York for five years now and I never made the trek out to the Arthur Ashe statium in Flushing, Queens. But the trek was worth every second of subway car sardinery. Hey I'm no Sporty Spice (although I did play some Tennis as a kid) but just being at the U.S. Open makes you feel part of the game! I could get used to this...feeling so sporty without even having to pick up a racket! Aaah the joy of spectator sports. And you could even buy Serena Williams' dress there. Fashion in sport...perfect!

We saw two really great matches, Williams Vs. Mauresmo, man to man. And Hewitt ("Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie, oye,oye,oye"...Aussie fans rock) versus dynamite Gasquet (hot little French boy.)
Speaking of hot and little, the ball girl in the men's round (the real men) was such a Sharapova in the making that the audience couldn't stop hooting and whistling at her...she was taken off court in the last set because she was quite the distraction! I always feel bad for the poor little ball boys and girls who work so hard for such little glory, but Miss ball girl USA 2006 was quite the star at yesterday's match. This is clearly becoming a phenomena as sponsors like Ralph Lauren "bring sexy back"...to the tennis courts. Why just Miss Sharapova?
(Ball) girls just wanna have fun too.
http://usopen.blogs.nytimes.com/?p=116

You the know the U.S. Open has a large Indian audience when there is a Baluchi's (Indian food chain) on campus. There I was in "Agassi-Agony", courtside at Ashe, eating my comfort food chicken tikka masala and jalebis...
That Agassi brings out the tear-factory in me.
Oh but there is hope...a quote from Agassi's coach: "Of course, we’ll always have Agassi II,’’ said the coach, Shay. “Have you seen his son hit a ball? Holy shit. His son can hit a ball, man.

No comments: