July 24, 2006

Gore's Charts & Poor Little Polar Bears.

Who has seen Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" ??? What did you think?
I liked it and didn't like it.
It's definitely one big powerpoint presentation. And if you know anything about making a good presentation, you'll know that he did a pretty good job at engaging the audience. At one point, he gets on a hydraulic ladder of sorts to show how carbon dioxide levels are projected to literally climb 'off the charts'. Very compelling.
But at times, I glaze over the many, many charts and at other times I get lost in the personal stories he sprinkles throughout. I would say I'm a sufficiently analytical person and can even make a pretty looking chart myself, on a good day. But this is the movies. I don't want to look at chart after chart while munching on salty popcorn and inhaling a bucket of diet coke.
Charts are a buzz kill.
Lets just say it's definitely not a good Saturday night movie. Ahem.
Coming back to the stories, they were touching and Al clearly has an emotional and personal connection to the subject matter. But it's too much for me. I struggle to cope with the thought of Manhattan drowning if Greenland melts and then Al talking about his childhood growing up on the farm...frankly I just don't care that much about his childhood at that point.
It sounds mean I know so let me just say that I like Al a lot more than most politicians but I don't want so much of him in this movie. It bugs me.
Focus on the issue here and it does the job well. Global Warming is here and very real. You leave feeling scared and worried.
Not scared and worried for you but for the generation after you. Your kids, their kids. What will happen?
For some reason I keep picturing the little polar bear they show in the movie. He keeps swimming in the ocean looking for ice to step on to but all the ice has melted. And he just keeps on swimming till he finds tiny bits of ice which he tries to climb on but they keep breaking and melting. Eventually there is no ice left and he drowns. It's so sad.

No comments: