June 08, 2006

Weird Title Dude.

I feel like I need to explain my blog title choice before I get too far ahead in this blog game. After all we all know that we do judge books by their covers and no one opens emails where the subject line is ‘Ephedra is back. Get it while you can.’ So to provide some context here ‘Nothing About Much’ is in fact a legacy thing. About nine years ago (gosh I feel old) I used to write for a ‘youth’ magazine in Mumbai called JAM (check out http://www.jammag.com/index.php) and in the spirit of single syllable, three-letter acronyms I decided to name my column 'Nothing About Much' –NAM, which is also part of my name. Honestly.
Boy did I need a writing mentor back then.
In any case, ‘Nothing About Much’ was a decent effort at the time and ran for a solid two years. I wrote passionately and highly opinionatedly. In fact, when I look at my writing now, some of it makes me squirm. Let’s just say I developed a growing hate club of engineering students. More on that another time. So anyway, the nostalgic beast that I am, I decided to let the name live on and gave it a contemporary touch with the ‘From Mumbai to Manhattan’ part. Sounds so soap opera-esque no?
I’ll have to be honest -- I’m not from Mumbai. I worked there one summer and my husband is from there. And while I work and breathe in Manhattan I moved out in search of a lower rent check two years ago. Home for me is Pune and Jersey City but ‘From Pune to Jersey City’ doesn’t quite have the same ring to it as ‘Mumbai to Manhattan’.
It’s ironic how close those cities are in both lands--Pune from Bombay and Jersey City from Manhattan and how one little mode of transport – Expressway and Hudson River respectively, changes everything for most people. But for me these places represent the same two worlds that are my life. My India and my America. And not to add to the confusion or anything but you will soon discover there’s also a ‘my Nigeria’ (born there) and ‘my England’ (grew up there). See why I needed to start a blog now? I have so much to talk about!

No comments: